Main page content
The forums and submissions are now closed! We invite you to read the comments received on the forums and other feedback received from interested Canadians on the What We Heard page.
To help get your views on what key values and principles should be included in a modernized Radioactive Waste Policy, we developed discussion papers on radioactive waste topics and a series of questions that we would like you to address.
Explore the topics to learn on how it relates to the policy review.
- What are your views on waste minimization? Should Canada continue to use the concept of the waste hierarchy?
- What should be the role of Government, the regulator and waste owners with respect to minimizing radioactive waste?
- Are there other principles, beyond those identified by the International Atomic Energy Agency, that you believe are important to consider when designing and implementing a waste minimization program?
Waste storage facilities
- What are your views on how radioactive waste is currently stored in Canada?
- What should be the role of Government, the regulator, and waste owners with respect to radioactive waste storage?
- What do you feel are important policy considerations that should influence the choice of decommissioning strategies by nuclear operators and should be considered as part of Canada’s radioactive waste policy?
- In what ways should Canada’s policy address the setting of end-state objectives for decommissioning?
- What do you feel are important policy considerations that should influence the choice of disposal approaches by waste owners and should be considered as part of Canada’s radioactive waste policy?
- What should be the roles and responsibilities of government, the regulator, and waste owners with regards to radioactive waste disposal facilities, including:
- Closure of a disposal facility and its institutional control, and
- Indigenous and Public Engagement and involvement in site selection and post-closure?