Main page content
How to participate
The Virtual Engagement Hub is our main tool to communicate with you. You will find information on radioactive waste, our Radioactive Waste Policy Review, and updates on the process as it progresses. This is also one way to ensure your voice is heard through the various feedback opportunities.
Who are we engaging with?
All Canadians. That is why we want to hear your views for the updated policy.
As part of the Government of Canada’s review of its existing Radioactive Waste Policy, we will engage broadly with Indigenous peoples, stakeholders, experts, young Canadians as well as and the general public. The views of all interested Canadians are welcome.
What principles and processes are we using to engage?
Engagement with Canadians on Canada’s Radioactive Waste Policy will be:
- Flexible – adaptive and sensitive to the current health crisis. Where feasible, this includes alternative virtual and remote engagement methods to respect the public’s health and well-being of the public regarding COVID-19.
- Meaningful – informed engagement, based on a two-way dialogue that is understanding and responsive to concerns raised.
- Respectful – of time, capacity, and priorities of prospective participants; seeking to involve Indigenous elders and traditional knowledge keepers while being attentive to traditional protocols.
- Timely – providing adequate engagement timelines that allow Indigenous peoples, and other participants, to review the information and convey their perspectives.
- Transparent – building trust through openness, predictability and transparency.
- Broad-based and inclusive – providing an open engagement process for all Canadians, taking into account different capacities to participate.
Canada’s Radioactive Waste Policy Review
2020 – 2021 timeline
Virtual Engagement Hub launched
November 2020 - May 31, 2021
"What We Heard Report" release for comments
Modernized Policy release
- The Virtual Engagement Hub (website) is our main tool to communicate with you. You will find information on our Policy Review and receive updates on the process as it progresses. This is one of the ways to ensure your voice is heard through the various feedback opportunities.
- The Government of Canada will engage directly with stakeholders through a series of workshops, roundtables, bilateral meetings and online forums. Discussion Papers on key policy topics will be used to support the engagement discussions.
- We will be releasing a final “What We Heard Report” at the end of the engagement process to share with the public. There will be a public comment period on the paper before it is used to shape the modernized Policy.
- The modernized Policy will be released to the public in Fall 2021.